So Different, Yet So Alike




I was visiting my daughter in Fort Worth a few weeks ago. Just a day before my trip a massive series of tornadoes touched down just 35 miles southwest of Fort Worth. Consider that one of the twisters was 10 miles wide and the fact that the storm could have hit closer to Tina was more than I would have liked to think about. The devastation and loss was difficult to watch on all the news feeds. It made me think about what was important to hang on to and what is not.

That last statement directly links to the fact that I came here to deliver a load of Tina’s possessions that have lived with me for the 10 years she has been married. I am downsizing after caring for my mother, selling her home, and moving back to my smaller house in Baytown, Texas. I have had to be ruthless in the clean-out process. I simply cannot hang on to things that used to have meaning. I recently wrote a piece about letting go of two commercial sized pattern cabinets stuffed to the brim. While there were a lot of fond flashbacks, I decided I would rarely do any sewing in the future. Many years ago, I had rented rooms in an antique house on Calder in Beaumont to use as a sewing studio. I met some interesting people and made some friends, one of whom would remain a private client for a few years

It was time to move on with my stuff and bring Tina hers.

Along with the lists of items I have already cleared out, I was telling Tina I may play my trumpet one last time for church and sell it. I have even considered packing up my dishes that could serve 24 people at a sit down dinner with a five course meal. I may give the whole lot to the resale shop that supports a battered women’s shelter. It would stock at least six houses, if not more. Besides dinner plates, salad plates, soup bowls, steak plates, serving pieces and canisters - the set has custard cups, coffee cups, matching glasses and glass coffee cups, fruit bowls, chocolate pots and Swish chocolate mugs, soup tureens… awe heck, I would have to take inventory to get it all correct. When I had the kitchen remodeled I told the carpenter the shelving needed to be sturdy enough to hold a Sherman tank. He was puzzled until I told him to pick up a stack of only 12 plates. Then he saw the boxes of dishes waiting.

But I veer from the subject. Oh, wait, you’re used to seeing that happen on this blog. So maybe I will continue to digress.

Back to the downsizing and moving on… I mentioned to Tina I may give up the set of dishes and get something new and lighter in weight. Maybe paper plates from now on??? Just kidding. Since I have had the dishes since before she was born (and she is now 35) she laughed and said she wanted to actually watch that happen. Hey, it could. It will just be tough, like removing part of my history. And the fact remains that they were all used many times over. Every piece symbolizes an event and triggers a recollection of family, children, and festive times.

I have also admitted to my true downfall being books. Something about my days haunting the old Gates Memorial Library of Port Arthur, Texas prevents me from giving up a single work. Now that my daughter has the writing bug, I see the apple didn’t fall far from the tree. There are books everywhere. In a day and age where a single piece of electronic equipment can hold volumes of writings, she has the desire to possess and hold the real thing. Books are stuffed everywhere. Tina and Ryan just bought shelves a short while back. They proved to be inadequate immediately. Books are in nightstands, the office, and gosh knows where else she can stuff them.

While observing the books, and thinking about my own collection, one book in particular caught my eye. She has a book standing with the cover facing out, not inserted between other books standing in the ranks. It is a book about Audrey Hepburn. Again, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

Back when Tina was in college, she used to tease me about the old movies, my love of elevator music, and my attraction to all things “old.” I decided to introduce her to Audrey Hepburn because, like Audrey, Tina was a dancer and had the form, elegance and balance Hepburn radiated. The first movie I purchased for her was Breakfast At Tiffany’s. After crying over the ending, Tina was hooked. Then she followed in my footsteps on Doris Day and Marilyn Monroe. She continued to find her interest in old films and shared those with her husband’s grandfather, Leonard, another avid ‘old-reeler’ if you get my drift. The two were generations apart, but in tune on the same wave link from a bygone era. I can easily conjure up a mental image of the two of them laughing or singing along with the movie characters who graced another time in our culture. Now that Len has left our earth, she will have those memories to enjoy forever. For that, I am glad she holds on to books and developed an appreciation of an art form she once considered out-dated.

Put her hair up, put a hat on her head and watch her walk.
She is imbued with all things Audrey.