A Gal and Her Bra

I just pissed myself off by doing the dumbest thing. I did some laundry yesterday – the last load being dog towels and work rags. It has been raining a bit recently, so I have needed to dry 16  paws before they enter the house. My rule is to ‘wash’ the washing machine after the dog towel load to clean out any remaining dog hair. This rule comes from a lesson learned in life. Well, I've slept since yesterday and grabbed a priority basket of lingerie to wash. And I didn’t clean out the machine prior to doing this.

Only we women know what misery it can be to wear an ill-fitting, or cheaply made, bra. It took me ages to find the right make and model that allows me to play the piano without straps slipping as I stretch out on the keyboard. I even patronized those expensive, exclusive shops in the mall. All the Fit Experts claimed to have the perfect design for my needs. No sooner than I tried on the pricey garment, I called each attendant in to see what I tried to describe was happening and what needed to be prevented by their top of the line model. Sure enough, the straps slipped in front of their eyes. One lady, proving she didn’t listen to a word I said in the initial interview, was dumb enough to say, “Why would you do your arm way out like that?” My reply was, “Because the very outer keys on the piano keyboard are way over yonder, and I have to lunge to slam down the low A octaves for the big finish.” I got a blank look. Needless to say, I didn’t purchase the item, even after she tried to convince me it was perfect for me. Sister, I can’t play a passage on an organ or piano in front of the whole church and then reach in my blouse to yank my bra strap back into place. Well, I guess I could, but I would look like I was doing right arm-left arm exercises as I fondle myself. With me being single, I guess the world would understand.

So, back to my laundry lesson. . . A few years ago, I had an uncomfortable feeling regarding a sensitive area that fits into the center of the cup of the bra. I kept checking myself to see if some spot, or bump, was coming up. I was thinking I might be showing signs of that rare funky cancer that’s out there. I found myself checking several times that day. A spot just on the rosey bit of flesh was itching and burning like crazy. Nothing showed after several hours, but the irritation became worse. I finally got a magnifying glass and my sewing lamp (which is an aluminum shop lamp most guys have in the garage) (not kidding) and examined myself. In the prospect of this examine my eye flicked to the fabric of the cup of the bra. Lo and behold, one of Bella’s hard guard hairs had wedged itself in the material and had been poking me all day long. Boink, Boink, Boink. All I needed was a cartoon sound bite to go with my misery. Once I plucked the offensive hair out of the weave of the fabric I was fine. And yes, I am that sensitive. And Bella’s hair is that strong.

Case in point: I called my sister over one evening and handed her the tweezers and a needle and asked her to remove a splinter from the bottom of my foot. I couldn’t see to remove it, so I needed her help. I turned around, flipped my foot up for her to see where the splinter was and heard her utter the classic, “Whuuuuuuut?” It was no splinter. It was a dog hair. She couldn’t believe my feet are soft enough for a dog hair to pierce.

So, anytime I get this miserable stabbing feeling, I check for stray doggie follicles. What can I say - it’s part of my life. Hence, I have made the rule of washing the washing machine before the finer things go in. Even when I follow the rule, I still scope both sides of the fabric for any strays that may slip in on me.

Today I am relegated to brushing away as much as possible before I hang them to dry. Once dry I will have to pull out the lint roller. Stubborn little cusses will have to be plucked using a magnifying glass and the shop light.


Dumb-ass. Dumb-ass. Dumb-ass