Autumn

The hush awakens my soul so fair
As I tarry in this place.
Autumn winds brush through my hair.
Its beauty lingers on my face.

Green transforms in blazing glory.
Stunning vistas bathed in golden hues
Unfold Nature’s dazzling story;
Wonders, indeed, to ponder and muse.

Faint sounds of winged harbingers
Still haunt the airy breezes.
Once filled with Spring’s carolers,
Now of Winter’s cold it teases.

Fascinating, vibrant tones
Of browns and reds and bronzes;
The wind through shedding forest drones
And gently sways the amber sconces.

Bathed in aching loveliness,
The foliage captivates my thoughts.
Fairies dance come time for darkness
And sail on moonbeams in the lofts.

They waltz with starry friends
To the music of the lone dove’s coo.
See them twirling on the winds?
I dream to dance here too.


Autumn 1999