Traveling Back In Time With A Hamburger

Long before the fast food era and McDonald's, the small town where I grew up had one option for a hamburger/soda stand. It was called The Dippo. It's siding consisted of red and white vertical wooden panels. It had a slanted front plate glass window with a sliding door in the center. You walked up, placed your order, and the attendant wrote it down on a pad on a worn plastic laminate counter. Then they snapped the window shut in your face and called your name when it was ready. It was the only place in town from the time I can remember until the sixties when Burger Town opened near the junior high school.

When I was three, my mother treated me to an ice cream cone because I had been good at the doctor's office. She gave me the ice cream and struck up a conversation with a friend standing beside the car. When she entered the car, she told me how proud she was of me - I didn't make a complete mess of myself or my dress. I was a good girl.

After a few more errands, we went home. It was a hot summer day. There was no air conditioning in the car, nor was our house air conditioned - something I have moaned about before in previous blogs.

Alas, The Dippo closed some time around the eighties. It was still there in 1974 because my boyfriend and I ate there. But those old land marks have all disappeared. I thought they were a total thing of the past when voila! Driving down the heart of Richmond, Texas I spotted a familiar building. . . worn red and white vertical wooden panels, the slanted window, the sliding screen door.  Could my eyes be deceiving me? I took the chance and walked up to the window. I ordered a burger and fries. The elderly proprietor, Betty, slid the screen open, pulled out a ticket pad and took my order on a well worn plastic laminate counter that had seen better days about fifty years ago. I struck up a conversation with her by stating that I had driven by on Monday and was disappointed that they were closed. She informed me that she decided some 35 years ago she wanted a day off and chose Mondays. I don't know how long she has been in businss, but she ran that place in record time. My order was called, not by a number on a ticket, but by the phrase, "Honey, your order is ready. You enjoy that burger now and come back."

I sank my teeth into the sandwich. Years peeled away. I was transported to my younger days when we either walked or rode our bicycles to The Dippo. I will certainly patronize her several times before I move away. I was charmed and delighted to discover an old world way of life was still thriving in today's society.

Oh, and that ice cream cone my mother treated me to back in 1958? I did not eat the whole thing primly and neatly. After that long, hot day of errands, my mother discovered that I had placed it in her purse for safe-keeping. . . . it was one hot mess.