Fashion History


 My grocery store card. 


















From the Evidence Files:
I have two nieces in the National Guard. Tricia is stateside, but Krystal is serving overseas in Africa. [Krys has already served a tour in Baghdad and Tricia's husband has served several overseas tours in the current conflicts. Couldn't resist an opportunity to be the proud aunt of people defending freedom.]

We usually communicate via email and Facebook, but I am sending Krys an old-fashioned card. I spotted it in the grocery store. I have no clue why it caught my eye because it was half covered by a card in front of it. Out of curiosity, I pulled it out of the slot. I nearly died laughing. It is a shot straight from the seventies. The granny dress days . . . Yes, I had them. Several of them. I have a photo of me in the black and white checkered dress that looks suspiciously like the girl on the right in a gingham print. That's me sitting on my cousin's lap in a Christmas photo my senior year. Dig the collar on the dress from my sophomore year!!! I think the girl in the middle on the card had the same pattern I had. See the pants on the guitar-playing dude looking all cool with his hair and sporting a cheesy attempt at a  Sonny Bono mustache? I had those too! The pants, not the mustache. [Although, that last item may be next on my life-list now that my jowels have appeared.]

What on earth were we thinking?

Looking back at fashion, we have several decades to be proud of. The thirties and forties have been recreated time and again. Nothing can compare to the timeless elegance of the A-line dresses and the 'Jackie O' and Marilyn Monroe looks of the late fifties and early sixties. The eighties? Ouch. The big hair, the painted clothes, the padded shoulder jumpsuits, oh my goodness. Fashion travesties I must say. We weren't even all stoned to make an excuse for it.

And speaking of timeless fashion, take a look at this photo of my mom. Classic. Sexy. And those legs. No wonder my dad took a picture of her every time she moved. I just have one thing to ask: "Mom, why didn't I get your genes instead of the short, squatty, round, freckle-faced grandmother from dad's side of the family?" Just thinking . . . life isn't always fair. And for that, I am pissed.