Gunnar Has Arrived

Alas, it was not me presenting mother with her first great grandchild. Younger brother Steve and wife Marlene have earned that title. His second daughter, Jessica and her husband Wesley, have brought the most delightful bundle into the world. The really sad part of the story is that mom is clueless as to the special place this baby holds in all our lives. If he had been born 10 years ago, I am sure mother would have moved earth and sky to be near him. Once he was placed in her arms, she would not have let him go. Now, she held him for the first time for a few brief seconds and was ready to give him back.

I, however, have the distinct pleasure of being titled Great Aunt Cheryl. Get that word Great. Being the family photographer, I get the first opportunities to play with him that only immediate family have the pleasure of. But it was well noted on our first photo session Gunnar wasn't impressed with my greatness or my prowress with the camera. He slept right through it. Best shot I got was of his foot being held in Wesley's hands.

Second photo session didn't go any better. His cousin [a whole week older than him] was the perfect photo baby. She looked right at me. She didn't cry. She didn't fuss when her mother changed outfits numerous times. Again, Gunnar slept. He stirred long enough to cry when his mother tapped the bottom of his feet. They lifted him in the air and whirled him around. He wouldn't wake up for anything. They called his name out loud, raised their voices, shook him around a bit...one eye rolled slowly open and shut. Drat.

I fully understand what those baby photographers at the mall feel like. Babies crying. Mothers getting frustrated. Dads getting impatient to get the heck out of the mall. All those toys being waved and squeaked for naught. Then you think you have a moment coming without tears, so you reach out and straighten little Adorable's outfit and uck, Baby Adorable has just puked down your hand.

Let's not leave out the most despised photo opportunity character of all time. Santa Claus. Yeah, we all have those first photos. Baby's first Christmas visit to the mall. You plunk the child down on the red velvet lap. There comes that moment when the baby realizes you have stepped away and that little head turns to look behind them. As the head turns back to the evil parents who have done this dreadful thing to them, the mouth opens. The New York Fire Department doesn't have sirens to compete with those wails. I now know why they hire retired guys to play Santa. First question on the application is, "Are you Deaf? If yes, then you have the job."

I have that very picture of my daughter. Like every other parent in line, I was sure I was going to get a delightful shot of the first visit with Santa. I got mouth wide open, tears streaming, face turning beet red, and sobs that shook her body into a near convulsive state. Between Santa and the baby photo studios in the mall, it's a wonder children aren't terrified of the mall setting. Maybe puberty erases those memories, because that is the only place tweens and teens want to be.

At any rate, my brother and his family are starting new memories and embarking on a whole new life. As the family photographer, I get to peek vicariously in on the wonderful life of grandparenting. And yes, I will be right behind them with my camera when they make that fateful trip to the mall at Christmas time.